Friday, May 6, 2011

A Long Way Gone Final Post

This book almost made me cry, and at the same time it almost made me want to throw it into a wall. I hate loose ends, especially in a powerful memoir such as this one. We don’t know what happens! We end with a story that relates to his life in the war. However, we really don’t know what happened to Beah. We know he made it into America because of the credits. I want to know how! The end of the book shows that he escapes, but there are so many other things that I want to know. How did he get on a plane? Where did he get the money to get on a plane? What did he do after he arrived in the New Country?  There are so many loose ends. Also, what happened to his family? Earlier in the novel he states that he never talked to his brother ever again. This made me curious. He said it as though he has spoken to other members of his family. He has an extremely strong message and I really want him to either write another book or somehow tell people the other stories that he had. He was in a war! There is no way that he doesn’t have enough material for ten books. I want to hear more because I know he has more. I want to hear details. I feel like I have been cut off. However, the messages that he does write about seem to touch my heart in interesting ways. It really shows what it means to be human. I rarely feel emotionally connected to other people. This book raised some questions about society and charity and what is a cause that we need to help. This was demonstrated by the story that he told at the end. “There was a hunter who went into the bush to kill a monkey…. Just when he was about to pull the trigger, the monkey spoke: ‘If you shoot me your mother will die, and if you don’t, your father will die.’” What is left to do in that situation? There are so many good charities but what is the right one?
This book is definitely something that everyone should read. I highly recommend it. It can speak to anyone. I really have nothing left to say about that. The emotions are so tough, one must experience it for themselves.
-Igor

No comments:

Post a Comment