Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Issues Raised in Activity

We did an activity that talked about the speech code violations at certain colleges. Many of the students that were getting in trouble at these parties were "disturbing the educational process". The students were engaging in racist activities such as black face and stereotyping black students. The activity "Jim Crow on Frat Row" showed the segregation colleges face many decades after the Jim Crow Laws were taken out of effect. I do not agree with what these students did. They should be punished. Imagine being a black student at a college were everyone is supposedly equal. I would feel uncomfortable and threatened if I saw parties like this taking place. This is defiantly disturbing the learning process of African American students. They are no longer at a place where they can learn and not be bothered. Now they are submerged in an experience that threatens their education. Also we researched F.I.R.E, which is the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, and the speech codes that they impose on schools. These speech codes violate your speech in an effort to promote an equal education. They are protecting the educational values that colleges stand for. I did research on Stanford University, my first choice, and found that they have a zero tolerance racism policy. This is enforced my speech codes to protect students of minority. However, I do not see it as protecting them. I see it as insurance that they will receive equal treatment as minority students. -Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment